An independent committee for the prevention of torture may be established in the republic’s detention, investigation and penitentiary institutions. This was announced by Deputy Prosecutor General Svetlana Artikova.
“In order to effectively implement the tasks set out in the Concept of Improving the Criminal Enforcement Legislation of Uzbekistan in 2019-2021, as well as to radically improve the system of prevention of torture in the activities of operational-search, investigation and execution of sentences, a relevant draft presidential decree has been developed.
The draft resolution envisages the establishment of the committee for the prevention of torture, which will exercise its powers as a separate law enforcement body, that is, as a public administration body of the republic to ensure the constitutional right of a person to protection from torture. It will not be dependent on officials of state bodies, but it will be accountable to the President and the Oliy Majlis in its activities.
Currently, the draft resolution is being agreed with the relevant ministries and departments in the prescribed manner. In the coming days, the project will be placed in an electronic system for public discussion,” Kun.uz correspondent quoted Svetlana Artikova as saying.
It was noted that the main tasks of the committee are as follows:
• consideration of allegations of torture by individuals and legal entities;
• to carry out pre-trial investigations into cases of torture;
• maintaining a single electronic register of persons detained in criminal proceedings;
• to ensure compensation for material and moral damage caused to victims of torture, to provide them with social, legal and psychological assistance;
• legal assessment of the actions of officials, who facilitated torture, and ensuring that the issue of liability is resolved.
The project also provides for the establishment of a call center of the committee for the prevention of torture, where detainees and prisoners can call at any time of the day, including via videoconference.