16:48 / 05.11.2022
Death of a young man who did not survive “15 days”: MIA and hospital deny each other’s evidence

Rashid Boliyev, who was detained administratively for non-payment of alimony, died three days later in the regional psychiatric hospital. “My child had no chronic illness or mental disorder. I don’t believe it. If so, we should have known about it for years,” the deceased’s father said. 

Kun.uz correspondent conducted a journalistic inquiry after listening to Boliyev’s relatives and parties related to the incident in order to find out how the suspicious death happened in Samarkand.

Boliyev lived in his father’s house in Akdarya district. On October 25, 2022, he was sentenced administratively to 15-day imprisonment for not paying his children’s alimony on time. Relatives of the deceased say that Rashid sometimes used to spend the night at the car wash where he worked. He was last seen on October 20.

The deceased’s father, Nor Boliyev, is unhappy that he found out about his son after so many actions, more precisely, after his death.

“Why didn’t the BCE officers inform when the 15-day administrative prison sentence was imposed on my son? We would do our best to pay off that debt. Or why didn’t the internal affairs officers tell us when my son had a mental change? Why didn’t the hospital inform us on time about my son’s death? My child had no chronic illness or mental disorder. I don’t believe it. If so, we should have known about it for years,” Rashid’s father said. 

According to Jamshid Boliyev, he was initially informed by the mahalla chairman that his brother was in the regional psychiatric hospital. By the time he reached the hospital, he was told that his brother had already died.

“When I asked the cause of his death at the hospital, they said that he was brought there in a critical condition. When the doctors talked to my brother, he said that he was beaten by the internal affairs officers. My brother was a healthy young man, I cannot believe that he died of his own death,” Jamshid Boliyev said. 

After his death, injury marks were found in several places. In the photos presented to us, we can see bruises on his face, ears, nose, and legs.

Asror Roziyev, an employee of the Akdarya District BCE, who dealt with the issue of alimony collection, also says that Rashid did not have any mental problems. Usually, before the case is presented to the court, information about the citizen is taken into account through a special system.

We also visited the Special Reception, which is intended for the detention of persons detained under administrative procedure.

The head of the reception, lieutenant colonel Sukhbat Gaffarov, said that on October 26, Boliyev had epilepsy twice. The second time, he hit his head against the wall and was injured. After that, he was taken to another room and on October 27, he allegedly mutilated his body parts by talking to himself.

Gaffarov said that according to the rules, a special examination was assigned to Boliyev, and as a result, he was sent to a regional psychiatric hospital due to problems with his mental state.

“When Rashid was being taken away, his condition was not bad. The injuries to the face and head were here. However, there was no wound on his leg,” Gaffarov said.

The head of the reception says that he talked to Rashid after observing epilepsy and filmed this process. During that conversation, the deceased said that he had been suffering from seizures since he graduated from school. This image and a video showing Rashid’s fallen state were presented to Kun.uz.

The DIA was unable to provide images of Boliyev’s condition as he was being taken away from the court.

We also talked to those who were in the same room with Rashid Boliyev and witnessed the seizure. Three witnesses who communicated with us testified that Rashid did not have a conflict with anyone, physical force was not used and he had epilepsy.

We had a telephone conversation with Akmal Akhrorov, chief physician of the regional psychiatric hospital. Akhrorov says that Rashid was brought to the hospital with various injuries, and at that time he did not act independently, but was washed with the help of others. According to the head doctor, nether there was leg injury when Boliyev was in the hospital, nor measures were used for seizures observed in typical psychiatric patients. Because the patient’s health deteriorated after his arrival, and he had no physical strength.

After hearing the parties and comparing the facts and evidence, we were convinced that the situation is quite complicated. Rashid Boliyev has many injuries.

According to the DIA, the deceased independently walked into the hospital and there were no injuries on his legs.

As the head doctor reported, after going to the hospital, no seizures were observed, the patient hardly moved independently, and there was no risk of injury to his leg by tying him.

As a result, Rashid Boliyev, who until now was not listed anywhere due to his mental illness, died at the age of 34. If he was in a dying condition, why was he sent to a psychiatric hospital and admitted?

For the purpose of clarifying the cause of the deceased’s death, forensic examination, investigations of the actions of DIA officers and doctors have been appointed.

Kun.uz will follow the development of events.

Related News