Kitco ranked the world’s biggest gold mines by production in 2022. It is noted that, according to estimates, 1,700 koz of gold was mined at the Muruntau deposit last year.
“The Muruntau open pit mining complex is estimated to produce approximately 1,700 koz of gold in 2022 (excluding heap leach operations). Operated by the state-owned Navoi Mining Enterprise, the mine is more than 3.3km long, 2.5km wide and nearly 600m deep. Muruntau has over 150 million ounces of gold in reserves and resources,” Kitco writes.
It should be recalled that from 2020 to 2022, Muruntau retained the title of the largest gold producer in the world according to the Kitco analytical center. The mine produced more than 2 million ounces of gold last year.
In total, 10 large mines were included in the Kitco rating:
1. Grasberg, Indonesia: 1,798 koz
2. Muruntau, Uzbekistan: 1,700 koz
3. Carlin, USA: 1,571 koz
4. Olympics, Russia: 1,043 koz
5. Boddington, Australia: 798 koz
6. Kibali, Democratic Republic of the Congo: 750 koz
7. Detour Lake, Canada: 733 koz
8. Cortez, USA: 731 koz
9. Pueblo Viejo, Dominican Republic: 713 koz
10. Lulo Gunkoto, Mali: 684 koz