A resolution of the President on measures to improve the quality of education and development of scientific research in mathematics has been adopted.
The resolution provides for:
- the formation of a holistic system that ensures close cooperation between preschool, general secondary, specialized secondary, professional, higher educational and scientific institutions;
- the introduction of modern pedagogical technologies, on the basis of best international practices, to form initial mathematical perceptions in preschool children;
- improving the quality of teaching the mathematical sciences, developing specialized schools in the regions with an in-depth study of mathematics, as well as creating new schools;
- finding talented youth and ensuring their successful participation in national and international mathematics Olympiads and winning prizes;
- the creation of an online educational platform, increasing the effectiveness of the distance education system, the introduction of mechanisms to ensure the transparency of the assessment system;
- the introduction of the National certification system for assessing the level of knowledge in mathematics, increasing the number of classes and improving the quality of education in mathematics in the relevant areas and specialties of higher education.
It is envisaged to approve the target program for 2020–2023 to improve the quality of education, increase the efficiency and practical importance of mathematical scientific researches in Uzbekistan.
The Ministry of Public Education and the Ministry of Higher and Secondary Specialized Education are responsible for conducting classes in specialized schools through distance learning courses.
The National Certification System for assessing the level of knowledge in mathematics will be created by January 1, 2021.
The State Testing Center under the Cabinet of Ministers will be responsible for assessing the level of mathematical knowledge and the issuance of a national qualification certificate.
An applicant who was awarded a national certificate of a privilege level is exempted from passing compulsory tests in mathematics upon admission to a higher educational institution and gets a maximum score in this subject.
From September 1, 2021, mathematics teachers of specialized schools must have a certificate of the appropriate level.
Mathematics teachers who have a national certificate of the appropriate level (with the exception of teachers at specialized schools), depending on the location of their educational institution, are paid monthly bonuses in the amount of 25 to 50 percent of their base salary.
The Ministry of Higher and Secondary Specialized Education has been instructed to:
- increase the hours of mathematics classes in the curriculum of education spheres that require knowledge, qualifications and skills in mathematics;
- implement project works aimed at the formation and development of practical knowledge, qualifications and skills in mathematics among graduates.
The resolution also established the International Prize of the President of Uzbekistan named after Muhammad al-Khwarizmi, to reward scientists who proposed an optimal solution to specific problems using the results of fundamental and applied mathematical researches.
The prize will be awarded to citizens of Uzbekistan, foreign citizens and stateless persons. It will be presented by the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan every two years in three directions (fundamental research, youth research and research that provides a solution to a specific problem in the real sector of the economy) on the recommendation of the Republican Council on Science and Technologies.
Prizewinners in each direction will be paid $50 thousand cash reward from the State Budget.